Friday, 27 June 2008

On top of Dorset

Well, I went somewhere I have never been in Dorset, Pilsdon Pen. What have I been missing...the view is amazing! In the winter months when the light is not so good and the nights are chilly I like to make patchwork quilts and this view puts me in mind of a quilt, the fields all divided by the hedges in a random way. It's totally beautiful and picturesque. The little farms studded around here and there. There were some cows up there bellowing for all they were worth, their noise carrying on the wind and making it seem much louder. A Buzzard was circling around overnead and when he went down towards some trees he was mobbed by the local Rooks.
I think you can almost see the curve of the earth in this shot, it wasn't a wide angle lens as I haven't got one!! We walked round the perimeter a couple of times before descending back down to the road again.
On the way home driving towards Frampton near Dorchester a mink ran across the road in front of us, we both got a good look and stopped the car and looked it up in our book to check it was a mink. I know they are an absolute pest in the countryside but I was happy to have seen one.

7 comments:

Tricia said...

I thought I knew Dorset pretty well - wrong obviously. What I wonderful spot - now on my "must visit" list". Great pictures too.

alan said...

Hi,
Liked your blog and thought the photos were great. Dorset really is a lovely county and there is so much to see and do there too.

happyone said...

That scenery is breathtaking. How fabulous that you are able to walk in such a beautiful place.

Border Reiver said...

As you say Goosey, not a well know spot Pilston Pen but well worth a trip...cracking photo.

Lucky too seeing a mink, there is a programme to eradicate them from the SW to allow the Water Vole to recover. I've not seen one for years down here.

Cheryl said...

Beautiful countryside.....I love Dorset and have spent so many happy holidays there with my children.
I love the photograph "it almost looks like the curve of the earth", quite stunning.....

Greentwinsmummy said...

beautiful photos! I also had (((((blush))))! never heard of Pilsdon Pen! I have found it on a map,its not too far from here so shall have to venture forth!

I used to love Badbury Rings when I was little,I was old enough to understand what a hill fort was & my imagination would run away with me as I ran around there on family picnics
:o)
GTM

Lynmiranda said...

Lovely pictures Goosey. I have to say with shame I did not know about Pilsdon Pen either (((blush, blush))) and I have lived in Dorset most of my life. I looked it up on Google Earth to see where it is. I think this will have to be my must visit list. I have been to Maiden Castle which is not far from where I live. Thankyou for the pictures.