Friday, 20 June 2008

Otterly amazing!

Tattyanne and I had another of our nature walks today to do a bit of birding. Every time we arrange to go, it rains! Of course today was no exception and we had to endure showery rain. We have had a very busy time at work lately and we needed to do something peaceful and relaxing and today was just the ticket. We started by having a look at her allotment which is really impressive, every bit of space is growing something. Later we went for a walk alongside the River Stour, past a man with very serious camera and telescope equipment trained on the opposite side of the river...he told us he had seen the Kingfishers.
We carried on and sat facing this view for about half an hour and not one Kingfisher did we see! However my friend wandered off upstream to see what she could see and photograph, and while she was away I was watching the other side of the river when just down to my left out of the corner of my eye I saw a movement about 6 feet away was an Otter! I don't know who was more surprised, him or me...he saw me and turned around and disappeared the way he had come and out of sight. It was a young one I think as it was not as large as otters I have seen when up in the West coast of Scotland. I watched that spot for ages afterwards but no sign of it again.
In the middle of this picture is a warbler of some kind, singing beautifully, I'm not very good at deciding which warbler is which! Also we saw at least 3 Little Egrets but no Herons which at one time were common there. Tattyanne took lots of pictures so she may put some on her blog hopefully.

3 comments:

Border Reiver said...

Hi Goosey, Sedge Warbler it is.. I was going to say this then read Tattyanne's blog and she's confirmed it too. Regards BR

Jane said...

I can't believe you saw an otter. You lucky, lucky, lucky thing! I wonder whether you could email me and let me know where you saw it? I'm a member of the Dorset Otter Group and part of my "patch" is on The Stour (near to Corfe Mullen, White Mill, Cowgrove), just wondered if it was anywhere near it. My email is jane@naturewatched.org Thanks! Jane

Cheryl said...

What a lovely post.....how lucky to see an otter...total envy....