Thursday, 31 July 2008

Not such a good walk at Broadstone!

The other evening we decided to try a walk in the conurbation instead of driving out into the country....bad idea! When we were there a couple of weeks ago to see the Nightjars we noticed a walk along the old railway line from Ashington Cutting, it's a nice walk through an old trackbed. Lots of birdsong and someone has gone to alot of trouble to make it suitable for walking. We saw a deer and just enjoyed the amble until we happened to find ourselves on the edge of Broadstone Golf Course! We decided to turn back into the track and retrace our steps but a rather officious elderly golfer had seen us and informed us we couldn't go back as it was the Golf Clubs land! To be honest we didn't want to walk anywhere near the golf course as we find them rather sterile areas and without the wildness we like. Anyway he wouldn't have it and as we are peaceable folk we went his way which was a footpath that just led to a sign saying "End of Public Footpath"...it led absolutley no-where!
After returning to the car via a busy road we decided urban walking is not for us! But still, whoever did the hard work on the track, thank you. Sorry this turned into a rant...I'm not really grumpy I promise....we have learnt our lesson now!

4 comments:

Tattyanne said...

Never mind Goosey. It wasn't a rant, more like a warning. Hope to see you soon, Tatty X

Tricia said...

What a disappointment Goosey. However, it could be that there's a public right-of-way through the golf course? Golfers tend to be over protective in defending their territory in my view!

Cheryl said...

Oh well Goosey you live and learn....I do not like urban walking either.......but I have to say I was walking around the perimetre of a farmers field once.....doing absolutely no harm just following the path and I was asked to leave by the farmer in no uncertain terms....there are some miserable people out there

Jane said...

I have done exactly the same thing on that path... it was actually the day my husband was having a major throat operation on his cancer and I decided to try and take my mind off his 10 hour op and go for a walk with my sister. I didn't want to go far so we set off over Barrow Hill, through Happy Bottom and then onto the Ashington Cut. We ended up on the golfcourse as well, with no signs telling us where to go. I actually got so frustrated that I sat down and burst into tears. In the end we ended up crossing the course and walking down the busy road from Corfe Hills School. Not a good memory! However, I do know lots of other conurbation walks which are lovely... so don't give up. Walking up and over The Knoll/Mountain Clump at Corfe Mullen, and then walking through Stoneydown Plantation is lovely. Jane