Sunday, 13 July 2008

Mad horse on a Sunday afternoon

After night shift I sometimes like to chill out by the water for a few minutes before home to sleep. The ferry is on it's way to France and if you look in front of the boat between it and the tall mast you will see Corfe Castle in the distance on the Isle of Purbeck. ( It is the castle that inspired Enid Blyton and she called it Kirrin castle ). The boat makes a quite big bow wave as it goes through and scatters all the sea birds away for a few minutes.
This afternoon we had what we had hoped would be a gentle stroll on Purbeck. We walked onto the Kilwood reserve near East Creech. This was a general view as we walked along the track and you can see some deer grazing in the field. Lots of butterfly's and heard one or two Woodpeckers and saw a Green woodpecker. It's a small reserve but very nice and plenty of insects and butterflys and wild flowers.
The other side of the reserve was a style into this chaps's field. We crossed the field with no bother from him and passed into a woodland with a narrow winding path which was not fenced off so the horse had access to it too. As we sauntered along we suddenly heard thundering hooves coming towards us, turned to be faced with this horse galloping at full pelt along the track towards us, we jumped off the track and used a tree for protection and he flew past us at a cracking pace! A little disconcerted we carried on when he had done a circuit and gone back into his field, a few minutes later he did it again and another tree had to be used to hide behind! By this time we had decided not to go back across the field, so after much scrambling managed to find another track and did a big circle back to the car. I have never been so close to a galloping horse and it was so powerful, even though he wasn't a huge horse. I have not been nervous of them before but this one spooked me a bit!

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Gosh Goosey....they are powerful, so I think hiding behind the tree was a good idea....
Perhaps he was a bit bored and thought you might be a bit of fun...lol

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Love the horse, pity it was so energetic, when I read other blogs I realise there are still a lot of places to wander and see flowers and wildlife.

the ramblers

Ian said...

Hi ,
I liked your photos and your blog. Corfe Castle is an amazing place. You just wonderd how they amanaged to get the stone there and then up the hill. I have got a job to climb up with no more thank a pack of sandwiches.

Lynmiranda said...

Do you work at PGH? That is where I work and I do night shifts.

Tattyanne said...

What a fab picture of Corfe and the channel Ferry! Hope to catch up with you soon, and fit in some more walks! Take Care Karen

KicsiKat├│ said...

Hi Goosey! I have no idea which of my pincushions went to you, but I'm happy to hear about you. I'm so waiting for my ones:))

happyone said...

That sounds a bit scary with the horse. Glad you had a tree to hide behind.

Jennie said...

The horse looks like a youngster, so you were obviously his bit of excitement for the day! I know Corfe Castle VERY well - many, many Purbeck walks when I lived in Dorset, and so often they were in the Corfe area (our favourite pubs were the Scott Arms at Kingston and the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers.

When I was younger (lighter, and fitter!) a friend and I once tried running up the steepest part of the motte that Corfe is built on, to see what it was like for the French attackers they brought over (the ones who got drunk in the pub first!)