Wednesday, 6 August 2008

Durdle Door

This is a favourite place of ours and we often walk along the coast here. We prefer not to park at the busy Lulworth Cove but further up the hill and walk across the fields to the coast path. This is a favourite place for the more adventurous families to come for a day, there is a fairly steep path which could be challenging with little ones around.
There have been occasions when youngsters jump off the arch into the sea which is not to be recommended, it's called Tombstoning for obvious reasons. Just last year a young man was seriously injured doing just that.
On a brighter note the view from here is glorious and you can see for miles both east and west, the sunsets are breathtaking. On the horizon is the Isle of Portland, where many a birdwatcher has twitched.
I have seen Yellowhammers up here, Stonechats and loads of butterflys. I hope one day to get a digital SLR and get some close ups of these lovely creatures. Meanwhile the little point and shoot can capture a view as well as anything I think.
If you want to see some other pictures taken fom this area look at "Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door" on May 10th 2008, almost taken from the same spot.

9 comments:

montaguepiedaterre said...

Thanks for the beautiful visit to Durdle Door. Hopefully I will visit it some day. Until then, your blog spot is quite lovely in it's introduction to some of the beautiful English countryside. Thanks again.

happyone said...

That looks really cool. You get to walk in such great places!!

Tricia said...

Goosey - I'm really enjoying your guided tour around Dorset. I really must get back down there soon.

You're reminding me of what I'm missing!

Tattyanne said...

Morning Goosey, that is one place that I would love to go. I dont think I have ever been, isn't that shameful! TC see you soon, Tattyanne

Roy Norris said...

Lovely scene Goosey. It cost an arm and a leg to park down at Lulworth Cove.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

As you say the compact cameras of today are wonderful. Still it needs someone with an eye for composition, beauty call it what you will - then you get great photos like the one of Durdle Door.

Border Reiver said...

Hi snowgoosey. A glorious photo of a glorious place. Brought back memories, as I painted this for my other half last year. Sadly our relationship has like the arch hit the rocks. Cest la vie as they say, but life goes on. I just may not be down to the BMV any more, so keep up the photos and I can keep an eye out on what's happening there.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I visited Lulworth Cove and hiked to Durdle Door back in 2004. We had one of those picture perfect days with clear skies and a sharp horizon creating postcard photos that we still love to look at in our photo album. Some of the polished rocks from the beach are displayed in a dish on a shelf in our house. It was exciting to see the pictures on your blog and know that you had been to the same place! Thanks for your beautiful pictures!

Trudi (Michigan, USA)

Jennie said...

Hi Goosey, hope you're back soon.

If you check out my blog, there is a little something there for you. Jennie xx