Sunday, 24 August 2008

Wales in the Rain!!!

When I told people where we were going for our annual get away they didn't hide their sniggers and made comments such as " Hope you like rain" and " Got your umbrella?"....No, I said we have had some lovely weather in Wales.
I take it all back, we have just had two weeks of unrelenting rain (except for one day...the last one!) BUT I still love Wales and it hasn't dampened our enthusiasm for it one little bit! (Pardon the pun!)
The top picture I took early on the last day walking the dog by the River Glaslyn from the cottage we were staying in. I did this walk every morning and the mist hanging along the mountain side was worth all the rain soaked times I had walked this way.
This is the beautiful cottage we stayed in , in Beddgelert, it was lovely inside and had an AGA, I loved cooking and drying the wet clothes on that, cooking was actually a real pleasure. The river overflowed its banks on the Wednesday but was still wonderful even when it was roaring in flood or when it was meandering along on quieter days.
This is a view from the Cob at Portmadoc, it's a very poignant place as my Mother in Law who died at Easter was born in Portmadoc and loved this view and used to swim in it as a girl. Lots of water birds here, Redshank, little Egrets, Canada Geese, Cormorants, Lapwings and Osprey too! We visited one or two RSPB reserves and somehow found ourselves parting with cash and becoming members!
Anyway glad to be home........... I think. I know we'll be back there next year.

9 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Lovely views, we also love Wales, spent many happy holidays there.
As you say who cares about the weather - as long as you enjoyed it.

Cheryl said...

Well dear Goosey....I can honestly say it looks beautiful to me.......our country delivers so much in the way of scenery....we are so very lucky.....

Greentwinsmummy said...

Nice to have you back Goosey x lovely photos from Wales & if I had a cottage there with an aga I wouldnt mind the weather either :o)
I just saw your verse of the day,Be strong & of a good courage,I love that one,I found it on a grave in the tiny graveyard here & its become a special one to me,I am always repeating the words of it
GTM x

Tattyanne said...

Hey Goosey!! Great to have you back... I have missed you... I am glad you had a lovely time in Wales, And as always... lovely pictures! Hope to see you very soon... Tattyanne, X

Jennie said...

Wales IS a teensy bit wet - I don't think we've had a day without rain here for the past month or more! If I'd known you were heading this way, I'd have said take a detour!

happyone said...

Sounds like a lovely time even with all the rain. The cottage is charming and I can almost hear the water rushing by.

Goosey said...

Thank you all for your comments, it is nice to be back but I miss the mountains a bit!

Border Reiver said...

Fabulous photos Snowgoosey, great areas of Wales are unknown to me, so this has inspired me to visit.

Goosey said...

BR..You must visit Wales and explore it if you like birds and wildlife, there is plenty of it! Leave your bike at home though, it's a bit hilly....