Sunday, 21 September 2008

Coombe Keynes

We returned to Coombe Keynes late afternoon today for another walk. Last time we left it too late in the day to get to the nature reserve but this time we made it. Found this adder as we walked along a bridle path before we reached the reserve, I think it's the first I've seen this year. Lots of bats flying in the evening, rabbits and plenty of deer, we saw two stags locking horns so the rut must be starting.
This was by the pond in our garden just before we left, enjoying the September sunshine. Not sure what type it is, but pretty anyway! ...I think it's a common darter but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!
The views around the Coombe Keynes are amazing and this picture doesn't do it justice. We walked for 5 miles and didn't pass anyone else except a local gamekeeper out with his gun and his five dogs, my daughter walked a few miles away at St Aldhelms Head and it was heaving with folk and she could hardly find anywhere to park. It just goes to show it's worth getting the OS map out and getting off the 'Grockle-beaten track' if you want to escape.
Despite having the OS with us we managed to wander off and only got back to see Strictly Come Dancing with one minute to spare! A near tragedy! Home to home-made Devonshire splits and 2 hours of escapism in front of the telly...Strictly Come Dancing and then Tess of the D'Urberville's...magic. Especially following a walk across Hardy's country and seeing the landscape he wrote about.

5 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Great shot of the adder and darter.
We are always wandering off the beaten track, it makes the walk more interesting :)

happyone said...

Sounds like a great walk.
The darter has such beautiful wings - looks like fine lace.

Ursula said...

I love reading your Blog and walking round Dorset with you . So much so , that I have given you an award . To see what it is please visit my Blog. Ursula x

Cheryl said...

I love the adder and the darter, great captures.....

I am a strictly fan to.....it makes such a fun watch.....enjoy.....

Jennie said...

That lovely dark copper adder - I've only seen one that dark before and that was at the New Forest Reptile Centre. Lovely photo of the darter too - we have lots on our two ponds and there were plenty of dragonflies down by the river yesterday when I took Itsy out for a walk.