Wednesday, 3 September 2008

A grave matter

This isn't really a macabre or depressing post I promise! When we were in Wales we went to visit my husbands Grandparents grave which is about 3 miles out of the town and up on the hill on a lonely single track road. We were looking around and noticed as we have before how beautiful some of the gravestones are with their etched pictures.
We got chatting to a gravedigger there (as you do!) and he told us that an elderly man in Portmadoc does them all individually and is very skilled at it. The pictures denote a special thing in the persons life. This one above is the view from the cob, which I put a photo on the blog of, last week. They always put the address of the person on the stone, which makes it easier when you are trying to trace your family tree!
I imagine this Church was a special place in Anne Evans life....maybe she married there and worshipped there throughout her life.
The view is amazing although it was a rainy day and you can't see the sea but in previous years we have been able to see for miles from here.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Well you may think I am crazy Goosey but I love church yards....I do not find them depressing but most of the time extremely beautiful.....

the etchings are lovely works of art......I find it quite charming that the address is on the tombstone.....

Jennie said...

That bit about the deceased's address is very helpful to amateur genealogists! I've not seen such beautiful gravestones as those though, with the fabulous pictures on the top - so personal to the family left behind. I would have to have a picture of my darling Arab horse on mine I think and perhaps a Dartmoor Tor . . .

Border Reiver said...

What a great idea doing these etchings on the graves, as you may have seen from my last posting I have an interest in graveyards, because of the wildlife, but these grave stones are wonderful. BR