Friday, 3 October 2008

Who am I? and Corfe Castle

This little chap was on my bag, I don't know who or what he is, but put him in a sheltered spot outside. Hope he makes it.
Last weekend again, a cup of tea in the National Trust tearoom and Mr Goose had a cream tea..not my favourite so I stuck to a piece of wonderful home baked cake and what a view for a tearoom. Having consumed the calories we decided we should at least show willing and walk up to the castle ( and being fully paid up members of the National trust this year feel we have to go everywhere to make sure we get our moneys worth!)
The view from the top is over the village of Corfe Castle and the Purbeck hills beyond. There seems to be a marketing thing going on with the Enid Blyton connection...all the shops have something about it and are selling 'Ginger pop' and other Enid Blyton memorabilia. The castle is said to be Kirren castle in her books, and we all read them when we were children...didn't we? If you look between the church and the castle you will see people sitting in the tearoom garden where we were a few minutes previously. If you are in Corfe try this tearoom, it's great ...and No, I don't have a share in it or know the people who run it! Wish I did!
From the other side of the castle we watched the steam train going from Norden to Corfe Castle, then onto Swanage. In the distance are the towns of Poole and Bournemouth but maybe too hazy to see in this photo. Plenty of 'Gricers' taking photo's of the train too.

9 comments:

Ragged Roses said...

Hello and thanks for visiting my blog. I really enjoyed this post, I love Enid Blyton and Corfe Castle, you are so lucky being so near to it all
Kmx

Cheryl said...

I hope that the little chap makes it to.....

I love steam trains.....we have one that uses the line at the bottom of our garden....the smell as it passes is fabulous.....

Corfe castle looks amazing......

Teresa said...

Oh my...that is just so beautiful. I can not even imagine how wonderful it must have been in real life.

Tricia said...

Hi Goosey - I really feel as though I'm back in Dorset through your posts - and this one as great as ever :)

Tattyanne said...

Hi Goosey, I think your caterpillar might be the caterpillar of the Buff Ermine moth. I,m not sure, I thought initially that it might be the Muslin moth, but the season for that is June to August, where as the season for the Buff Ermine moth is August to October. Dont I sound clever!! Its amazing what you can copy out of a book!! Hope to see you soon. Tattyanne x

happyone said...

What a great place to have tea. All your photos are wonderful.
Love the steam train!!!

MrsL said...

We were at Norden last year, and travelled on that train! I used to work in Knoll House hotel in Studland, where Enid Blyton took some of her holidays; there was an oversize chair on one of the landings where she used to sit - as far as I know it's still there. She had a house in the next village to us too, but I'm not sure exactly which one it was.
Great photos.

Jean said...

I am enjoying your blog with photos of the beautiful UK countryside. I live in Southern California where the atmosphere is so different. I can really appreciate all the green!

Bovey Belle said...

So many happy Dorset memories Snowgoosey - THANKYOU. I used to visit Corfe so often, and know that little tearoom. I read Enid Blyton books to my children when they were little, just wish I'd known then that Kirrin Castle was based on Corfe. I've been on the steam train too and walked the old line from Corfe to Swanage whilst they were still restoring the line. I can remember identifying Ivy-Leaved Toadflax for the first time as we left the track at Swanage.