Saturday, 1 November 2008

Birthday treat....nine mile walk!!

Today is my better half's birthday, I meant this to be the last photo but it all came out backwards...never mind. Thanks to Jane Ashers lovely book about cakes this is the creation this year!
I asked him how he would like to spend his birthday and he suggested driving up to Bradford on Avon, parking the car there and walking into Bath following the towpath along the Kennet and Avon canal, it's about 9 miles, and then getting the train back to Bradford on Avon. So....thats what we did, despite the temperatures only reaching 4 today and heavy rain in the offing!

This very ornate bridge is in Bath and apparently the locals in this very select area did not take kindly to a working canal in their locality and so demanded that the bridges be beautiful, in the early 1800's.


We followed this boat for about 4 miles, sometimes we were behind it and sometimes we overtook it. As we passed the house boats the smell of their woodburner stoves was wonderful and the decoration of their homes just amazing. Saw a few birds flitting about, a Kingfisher, Long tailed tits, Goldfinches, a kestrel and lots of Rooks. We stopped for lunch at the George at Bathampton, really nice food there and full so obviously a very popular watering hole.
When we got home the children had made a cream tea and had lit the log burner so it was so cosy and welcoming, having driven home through heavy rain.
I have to confess I am a bit stiff legged this evening and I'm on an early shift tomorrow morning so I need to put the feet up for a while and relax.



9 comments:

Debbie said...

What a beatiful walk. We also live near a canal and some of the old tow paths have been tranformed to walking and biking trails.

Happy birthday and thanks for sharing.

Jean said...

I have so enjoyed your beautiful photos of your travels, the UK is so beautiful. I did manage to post some photos of the Getty Villa (in Pacific Palisades) on my blog that you may enjoy.

happyone said...

What a great walk and beautiful photos.
Happy Birthday to your husband. That cake looks delicious.
Tomorrow is my husbands birthday. I have his birthday cheese cake in the oven now. :-)

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely birthday outing. OH has his birthday soon, but hasn't said where we might go out for the day yet.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Aren't the canal towpaths and bridges wonderful, so much history to take in as you walk. Love the fancy bridges we have to settle for plain ones :) - The cake looks delicious.

Cheryl said...

Fabulous walk....well done you....

and oh that cake....one slice please with a cup of tea, tku......

Jane said...

My husband would love a cake like that (I'd better not let him read your blog!) although I think he'd probably pass on the walk... Jane

Mary said...

What a wonderful canal walk! that dessert looks delicious!

Von said...

A beaut walk, did it when I lived in Bristol years ago.Nice photos too!