Tuesday, 11 November 2008

Empty Nest

No, not about birds...unless I can be classed as an old bird! No comment!
Two of my sons have now left home, one went off to Uni over two years ago to do a degree in Motor Sport Engineering......move over Ferrari!
The other one left yesterday to follow a military career in one of the most difficult groups to get into, their motto is 99.9% need not apply and they wear a green beret if they survive 32 weeks training. He is only 16 and waving him off at the station was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, made all the more poignant by all the coverage this weekend and today for the Armistice 90 years ago, never has two minutes silence seemed so long.
Anyway, life goes on and as I looked out of the window after the two minutes silence this morning I saw a little sparrow on the bird table and it seemed so ordinary and so everyday and yet so beautiful in the sunshine and somehow it cheered me that life goes on however hard it is to let your young ones out into the world. I have a strong faith and I know that God loves him more than even I do so he will be cared for whatever the future holds.
I still have a daughter at home, she is 23 and although she lives here it's like she doesn't because she is a young woman about town and quite rightly living her own life!
Roll on Christmas when they will all be home, no Christmas present will be as good as a houseful again...noise, dirty washing, electric guitars, empty food cupboards and unlimited odd socks!
I have heard people talk about "empty nest syndrome" and rather poo pooed it thinking I would never feel like that....and I do!

11 comments:

Tricia said...

Oh Goosey - I know just how you feel and I'm sure every Mum does too. Well done to your young son though - Bravo! It's so hard to let them go to make their own lives, but it must be a very proud Mum that you are. :)

aromatic said...

BIG (((((HUGS)))))) just for you!!
I know how you feel... you think you will be fine... but you actually feel bereft. I am very close to my daughter... who is also my best friend and we used to do many things together and had such fun. When she left home to move in with her partner.. I thought no problem.. I am really happy for her, she had been through a very bad time so to see her with her life back on track was fantastic... but when she left I was totally lost and at times so lonely and many tears were shed I can tell you. I never let her know how I felt because I know she was really worried about leaving... But a year down the line and yes I am fine now... it just takes a little time to adjust and get used to things.
I wish both your sons well in their chosen careers... and love and best wishes to you!
Jane xxx

happyone said...

16 sounds so young to be leaving home.

I must admit I never felt the empty nest thing.
I was happy to be alone with my husband again. It was like we were just married all over again.

Tattyanne said...

Dear Goosey, what a poignant post:(
Just think about what a fabulous start to their lives you have given them, that enables them to go out into the world and become such fine young men, I take my hat off to you and Dave, you should both be so proud! Big hug, Tattyanne X

Bovey Belle said...

I can sympathise - both our girls are away at Uni "oop North" and I miss them so. Our son is still at home, but it won't be long before he is making his way in the world. I enjoy days out with just my husband, but the house doesn't seem a home without my girls in it, although of course, they don't see it as home any more - their Uni towns are home at present.

Border Reiver said...

I've never had children Goosey, but I know how hard my parents found it when I finally left the nest. Difficult emotionally, but one can not stop children finding their own feet, and as you say they'll be back. Whatever you'll be proud of your boys.

Robert V. Sobczak said...

I can imagine that being difficult. Hang in there ... it's at least good that you are not in denial. That's a start.

Goosey said...

Thank you all for your kind and uplifting comments, I wouldn't want you to think this is all about me, my husband has felt it just as much but in a quiet way.As the week goes on I feel better and have washed all their sheets and got their rooms ready for Christmas already! Roll on Christmas!

stitching under oaks said...

Sounds like Christmas can't get here soon enough. It's so great you have a faith to hold onto during such times. My three are years away from leaving the nest, but I know it will come way before I'm ready and much faster than I think.

Eileen said...

I know how you feel too Goosey. I have 1 son (25) away from home completing his Masters and another, far away across the country in Edmonton(23) working, playing drums in a band and climbing mountains. I miss them every day, and am anxiously awaiting to see if the younger one will be able to come home for Christmas - I haven't seen him for 1 1/2 years...too long.... I raised them to be adventurous, to follow their dreams, to be independent...but it very hard to let them go....take care....

marmee said...

oh i know with the faith that you've expressed you will be fine but you are allowed to feel that empty feeling. you have been investing in all those lives for countless years. try to invest in yourself too.