Wednesday, 10 December 2008

Memories

This is a quilt I have been making for about 5 years...it's one of those ones that keeps getting put away until another day! It's for my daughter and is made up of clothes she has worn or have memories for her. I'm hoping to put a plain line around the square of crazy patchwork and the edge of the log cabin to make it a little less busy. It includes
-a bit of her bridesmaids dress
-her Grandmothers wedding dress (1945 )
-her Brownie uniform
-her school ties x 2
-signatures of her Grandparents, some of them no longer with us.
-favourite dresses
-her blazer and school badge
-some of her Nanny's lacework
-swimming badges
-cross stitch she has made
-a batik tie she made at school
-the dress she was dedicated in
even her nappy pin on her first blanket!
etc....

Each of the little squares in the log cabin centers should also mean something to her. I am busy putting the layers together now with buttons, some of which are from her clothes. It is almost entirely hand made and to be honest I just want it finished now. I'm hoping to give it to her on Christmas day!

11 comments:

Eileen said...

How beautiful -she is a lucky girl -I'm sure she will treasure it always! Years ago, for my sisters wedding I made her a wall quilt with appliqued hearts -all the hearts were from fabric scraps of clothes made by my mom and me for her over the years.

happyone said...

The quilt is beautiful and such a work of love. What a lucky daughter!!! It is something to treasure and pass down to future generations.

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely quilt and what happy memories it has sewn into it. I have the material to do a special quilt for our bed, but OH has gone off the materials so I'm back to square one! He wants something Medieval/Gothic and striking . . .

Cheryl said...

I think that is such a lovely idea.....so very personal.....something to treasure forever.......

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Oh that really look something!
Such patience you quilters must possess!
Thanks for comming by my blog .I will be back to visit!
I love the photo of that gorgeous cow on your previous post...
And as for the emu pose....Ha,ha,ha!

our shabby cottage said...

Wow! It looks amazing and no wonder it has taken you so long!

serenitymeadow said...

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful...I can see all the love you are putting into it.

Audrey said...

What a beautiful quilt. It looks fantastic and will be a unique wonderful celebration of your daughter. So special.

Mary said...

This is wonderful! I'm so glad I went back through your posts and found this! How neat to have all those memories in it and all the cool stuff attached. I see the spider web for luck! I love doing crazy quilt stuff and so want to work on more projects but they take up so much time with all the hand stitching.

Mary said...

This is so cool....I'm glad I found the story about it. Your daughter is very fortunate.

belinda said...

Oh....this is going to be wonderful
It already is....She will truly
treasure it forever....what a great
quilt she will have to pass down!!