Wednesday, 17 December 2008

Nigella I am NOT!!

I watched Nigella's Christmas programme after work last night, she wafted around her kitchen, licking her fingers and looking every inch the 'Domestic Goddess', her kitchen sparkled with twinkly lights and it looked warm and cosy. Tomorrow, I thought, I will get up and make the mince pies!

I read some of the lovely blogs around and marvel at the amazing stuff they produce and get inspired....


However, I didn't meet Nigella's standard really...for a start it was cold as I had the back door open because I was making pastry and a good cook once told me to always make pastry with the back door open to keep it cool.

I switched the radio on and Radio 2 obligingly played Christmas music to keep me in the Christmas Spirit, I started off listening to Terry Wogan and was still there right through Ken Bruce and into Jeremy Vine's programme (for those of you outside the UK thats about 3-4 hours).

There was so much flour around that it looks like a snow scene in the kitchen and Wrecks the dog has turned into a Chow! I always say my daughter doesn't cook, she explodes...well that's me today!
The mincemeat I had made a few weeks ago was to be frank ,dry and would have held shelves up on the wall it was so tacky...why didn't I buy it?




The whiteish pies in this picture have crumble topping on them, they are for puddings. Nigella said she couldn't understand why anyone would go shopping when there is so much pleasure in cooking at home...at the moment shopping sounds quite attractive...or going to work (that was a joke Lindsay!!!)

Well I'm off to buy a few edible pies from Waitrose..see you!

p.s. My best friend has just popped in and done a road test on the pies, I say she's my "best" friend because she's close enough to always be honest and tell me if they are rubbish! She says they are OK but she doesn't fancy the crumble topped ones!

11 comments:

happyone said...

They all look good to me!!
I heard that all great cooks make a mess when they cook. :-)

MrsL said...

They look fine - my kitchen gets like that with flour, and the dog..........LOL I watched Nigella for teh first time ever last night - what a diabolical cookery programme, won't bother again. MrL seemed to enjoy it more than me, though.........

MrsL

xx

Yolanda said...

I am a fellow nurse and though I love Nigella I am not her either.

Linda said...

Your mince pies look wonderful. I'm glad to know there are still people in the world who make things from scratch. When I was young I made cookies and candies at Christmas. Now that I'm retired my husband does all that. Makes no sense but that's the way it worked out.

em's scrapbag said...

I think they look yummy and as Grandpa always said I only like two kinds of pie; hot and cold. I'm sure he would love them.

Knittings Nice! said...

Oh this posting did make me smile...I too watched "The Goddess" and yes inspired so I thought I would make some mincepie parcels...silly me used puff pastry instead of filo...the ended up a gooey mess....oh well back to the tried and tested.

Eileen said...

mmmmmmm...I love mince tarts...you have inspired me to try a gluten free pastry version.....no one else likes them, so I could freeze them and have one every now and again.....mmmmmm!

Border Reiver said...

They look good enough for me Snowgoosey, proper home cooking can never be beaten.

Have a great Xmas and if you can, I'm trying to get blogers to post their Xmas sightings on the 3/4th Jan - just a bit of fun, have a look at my latest posting, spread the word.

Goosey said...

Thanks for all your kind comments but please trust me, they really didn't taste that good! Better luck next year...?

Bovey Belle said...

I made mince pies in the wee small hours this morning as I couldn't sleep. They turned out well, but I don't know what the heck I left out of the Muffins (ones with bits of Crunchie bars in) as they are like rock . . . Probably reached for the wrong flour or something. Merry Christmas anyway!

Mary said...

They look good to me, but then I'm not a fancy cook and would never even attempt them. I'm always covered in flour when I bake :-) If making a mess is the sign of a great cook, I should have my own TV show.