Monday, 5 January 2009

Cold for Commando recruits


My two boys have gone back, one to University and the other to the Royal Marines...and this week from today he is sleeping out somewhere on the moors in the west country in this freezing cold weather doing a three and half day field exercise. I know he chose his career but I can't imagine why at the moment. It's all about endurance and they really do put them through the mill.

Walking Wrecks the dog today and I saw a Redwing, I haven't seen one of these for years, we used to get them in the garden with Fieldfares many years back but not now.

My list of birds I saw on the Christmas to New Year challenge was:


Robin

Blackbird

Sparrow

Dunnock

Magpie

Crow

Hen Harrier

Wood Pigeon

Little Egret

Black headed Gull

Curlew

Heron

Thrush

Ring collared dove

Great Tit

Blue Tit

Stonechat

Starling

Buzzard
I would like to challenge myself to see more birds this year and have gone for a target of 100 birds, I'm not sure if this is a realistic target as I only managed 65 in 2008. We have joined the RSPB so will visit a few reserves this year also joined the National Trust...now I'm really worried that middle age is setting in!

5 comments:

Andrew at Quicksilverbirds said...

Good luck with the challenge, 100 should be possible with a bit of effort, especially when the summer migrants arrive. Tip, start now, which you are, but if you miss some winter birds, then they'll be back in October, so don't worry.

If I can help suggest places, let me know. But having Arne and so on near you is a good start, worth a trip to Slimbridge too in the winter, rubbish in the summer, though not RSPB and the Trailway is good for summer warblers, as you know. Graylake, Bowling Green Marsh, Dawlish Warren and Shapwick complex are all worth a visit.

And if you haven't got one, a good pocket book is The New Birdwatchers Pocket Guide by Peter Hayman and Rob Hume, readliy available from RSPB sites, garden centres etc and has very good info on British birds. Bill Oddies Birds of Britain and Ireland gives good basic info and the paintings show charecteristics, not detail. Finally if you wish to go mad, can't go past the Collins Bird Guide, by Mullarney, Svenson, Zetterstrom and Grant. You'll not need anything else.

MrsL said...

I'd like to join you in the 100 bird challenge if I may? It's nice to have a target to wrok towards.

MrsL

xx

happyone said...

That's quite a list already. Good luck reaching your 100 goal.

Tricia said...

Good luck with your year list Goosey. You're off to a good start and it does sound achievable.

As Andrew says, getting to the right places and an information reference book is an excellent idea.

And always ask - is my motto. On the whole, good birders are keen to share their knowledge!

dowhatyoulove said...

Beautiful little bird. Its great to see birds in areas I have not been lucky enough to visit yet. I just found your blog, and I will be back again soon!