Tuesday, 27 January 2009

RSPB Garden birdwatch and Hatchpond

Sometimes we travel to see the worlds most beautiful places and then we realise that they are all around us. This pond is in the middle of the urban sprawl, surrounded by factory units and offices but when I went there yesterday for a walk and hoping to see a few birds it felt like a little piece of heaven. The reflection of the sky in the water so amazing, the bird song sweet, the solitude for a few minutes and I felt like I was on holiday!

I had hoped to see the Bittern that is seen here sometimes but no joy, however I did see Grey Heron, Gadwall, Tufted duck, Great Creasted Grebe, Teal, Snipe, Coot, Moorhen...so not a wasted trip at all.


Not a brilliant result in the RSPB garden birdwatch, but I expected that really.

x 1 Wren
x 5 Sparrows
x 2 Wood Pigeons
x 1 Dunnock

I had put loads of food out for them but I still don't get much in the garden. Alot of trees have been felled in nearby gardens over the past year or two. It seems that people move in and within days have cleared the garden and made it into an 'outdoor room' with paving slabs, decking and concrete, seats, BBQ's but in doing so the foliage goes as does the wildlife, sorry a bit of a rant there!

5 comments:

MrsL said...

Was just talking about the tree felling/lack of garden visitors to a friend last night. We've planted over 50 since we've been here now, so are trying to make up for it! My watch went quite well, as you say, all the usual suspects!

MrsL

xx

Tricia said...

Goosey - some nice views and pics there.

I'm also concerned about the "modern" gardens. Although I live in a very wooded area, I've noticed that 3 conifers have been felled all in the same garden about 4 houses away.

It's so sad when this happens because of the effect on wildlife and, it "flattens" the skyline at the same time. Very sad.

Mary said...

These photos are absolutely beutiful with the sky reflected in the water.

happyone said...

Enjoyed catching up on reading your blog after being without internet service for a while. Always enjoy your photos. Lovely cross stitch. I'm working on a needlepoint of a lighthouse that I started quite a while ago.

Mary said...

I love the snow photos but these of the pond are gorgeous. Some of my favorite photos are the ones that include water where the trees and sky are reflected on the surface.

One of the things I love about living in Minneapolis is that there are some great green spaces right in the city. It's like having the best of both worlds...city and country.