Friday, 27 February 2009

The writing on the wall

I know...not Fiddleford again! We walked here for a while last weekend but while I was on my break during night shift last night I picked up a book about Dorset and found out a bit more about the Mill.

Just out of interest this is a photo I took one summer evening last year and the following one is as it is as spring approaches now. You can't even see the manor house in the summer picture! Tree's are just as beautiful in summer or winter!


The small building is the mill and the other one is the manor which dates from 1355. This is just the perfect place to walk on a nice summer afternoon, then stop and have a picnic in this field looking towards the mill and manor house,listening to the bee's humming and watching the insects skimming over the water, it's like another world.



Here's the mill again with catkins blowing in the breeze in the foreground.





These inscriptions are next to the door of the mill and exhort the miller to welcome all comers and be honest in his dealings. On researching I also found that a notorious smuggler in the 18th century used the mill to hide his contraband. His name was Roger Ridout. It apparently kept the workers in nearby Sturminster Newton in liquor, it caused them to "fight in the streets and crazed their brains" , not so different from any town now on a Friday evening then!


The inscription reads as follows;


' He thatt wyll have here any thynge don

Let him corn fryndly he shall be welcom

A frynd to the owner and enemy to no man

Pass all here frely to corn when they can

For the tale of trothe I do always professe

Miller be true disgrace not thy vestfalsehod appere the fault shal be thine

And of sharpe punishment think me not unkind

Therefore to be true it shall the behove(To) please god chefly (that liveth) above'










4 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

How fascinating about the history of the mill and the Medieval inscription. It is many, MANY years since I was last at Fiddleford Mill (though I was at Stur. Newton Mill just last spring).

I love your blog - it's just like having a trip home . . .

Andrew at Quicksilverbirds said...

Hi Snowgoosey, great you have posted the inscription. I tried to decypher it recently and failed. Mind you many say Stur is still a haunt of naer-do-wells and foot pads :-)

Cindy said...

What a beautiful place for a picnic as you say. I enjoy your blog

happyone said...

Loved all the pictures and what a lovely place to walk and enjoy it all.