Saturday, 4 April 2009

Go down a dingy path and what's beyond....

Go down this narrow twitten ( I know...it's a Sussex word for alleyway, and I think it sounds nicer) walk down the steep slope and you come to the view below.
This is the view that will surprise you, this hill is called Gold Hill and was used a few years ago in a well-known bread advert, for Hovis bread. It's a cobbled road and deceptively steep, the handrail is needed by alot of people as they climb up and down. the wonderful Blackmore Vale beyond the houses, stunning Dorset scenery.

Here's another view of the Blackmore Vale from Shaftesbury, the hill on the skyline is Bulbarrow Hill where I have taken pictures from in the past.
Today has been such a lovely spring day, the sunshine really coming through and the crops in the fields shooting up and turning into the emerald green we only see at this time of year. The birds are busy getting nests ready, skylarks singing and the rooks and crows seem to be everywhere. On the way home we stopped at Badbury Rings and just stayed there until it was nearly dark....too nice to go home!


9 comments:

Greentwinsmummy said...

Would you believe I have never been to Gold Hill!!! every time I see a photo I go argg I MUST go there lol!
How lovely to stay at Badbury Rings till dark,thats one of my favourite places,its quite quite beautiful there.Yesterday was gorgeous wasnt it,we had our village tidy up & it was a joy to be out there picking up litter lol!
we had lunch & dinner outside too,I think so far this year we have eaten outside more than we did the whole of last year which is a good sign!
GTM x x

Tricia said...

Many of your posts evoke memories for me Goosey. My daughter used to live in Shaftesbury and I've been up and down Golds Hill on more than one occasion.

It's lovely to see familiar places through your eyes - lovely pictures.

Teresa said...

Your blog is always so interesting to read. I enjoy seeing all the scenery and you are just poetic in how you describe them. Thanks for sharing your exploits and pictures with us.

Goosey said...

GTM...You must take the smalls to see this, they will feel like they are climbing a mountain!

Tricia...I'm so glad the blog brings you happy memories, do the legs ache just looking at the hill!

Teresa...Thank you Teresa, you are kind about my ramblings.

happyone said...

Twitten - I like that word!
What a beautiful view awaits at end of the twitten.
That does look like a steep hill and in pictures it never looks as steep as it really is.
We had a nice warm spring day here too. :-)

Paul said...

Goosey ... you are quite a woman to keep providing wonderful National Geographic photographs on a regular basis. I have'nt watched for a while. Been visiting our new grandbaby and travelling to and fron over the face of this earth. I have been building several other blogs that are mapped to from the main one. Keep up the good work and God bless.

montaguepiedaterre.blogspot said...

oops ... forgot to include the blogspot ...

Elizabethd said...

Thank you for your visit. You have some lovely photos, and as an ex West country girl I loved being in Dorset for a moment or two!

Bovey Belle said...

Your photographs evoke such happy Dorset memories for me. Gold Hill and the view of the Blackmore Vale are so evocative (GTM - visit soonest, you won't be disappointed).

I always remember the mummified cat in the little museum at the top of the hill . . .