Thursday, 16 April 2009

Great White Egret or a Great Blue Eijet!

Yesterday,being a grey and showery (and if I'm honest a little chilly) April day I went for a walk along the River Stour with my daughter and son. After a while I decided to sit on a seat and see if I could see any birdlife, especially kingfishers (I didn't see any!) A and E walked on with the dog and out of sight. Next thing I pick up through the bins is a bobbing head in the river swimming down and past me....was it a great white egret?....no it was a great blue eijet!
He swum about 3/4 mile I think! They got far enough away from me, E stripped off and in he went. Clearly he is barking mad and I was not happy trying to birdwatch!
I did Quicksilvers bird count over the weekend, not brilliant but I enjoyed trying.
Blackbird
Wood pigeon
Blue tit
Great tit
Dunnock
Magpie
Crow
Rook
Yellowhammer
Spotted Flycatcher
Feral Pigeon
Robin
Mute swan
Graylag Goose
Canada goose
Mallard
Oystercatcher
Chaffinch
Sparrow
Starling
Pheasant
Buzzard

7 comments:

Eileen said...

How cold is that water in April??????

Louise said...

Oh my goodness! This really made me laugh out loud! The water must have been freezing!

Tattyanne said...

LOL Goosey!!

Goosey said...

Hello Eileen and Louise, Yes, the water was still very cold...he tried to tell us it was OK but his colour said different!
Tatty, How nice to hear from you, I expect you recognise that bit of river!

happyone said...

Brrrrr!! He must have been freezing!

Elizabethd said...

Oh...swimming in this weather! No!

keyswildlife said...

How bizarre! I would have thought it was an otter to start with... last thing I would have imagined was a man swimming. Weird. Have to laugh though... Jane