Tuesday, 5 May 2009

The ladies make tea...and the best cakes in Dorset!

Bank holiday was a little subdued on the weather front but we made the decision to take a turn around Wimborne St Giles, a village near Knowlton and Horton. You can walk around the lanes,
over the bridge and spend a few minutes gazing at the watermeadows....watching the swallows skimming over the river and the cows grazing next to it.

Walk along the lanes with the cow parsley in full flower along the edges.


Past the Wisteria clad cottages, their gardens beginning to fill up with promise of summer flowers to come.



Stop off at the Village Hall where the wonderful ladies of the village serve tea and cakes between 3pm and 5pm every weekend and bank holiday. All the cakes, biscuits and sandwiches are home made and the biggest problem is which to choose! It is very popular and people start arriving for 3pm, there is a real village community atmosphere, the men seem to do alot of table clearing and the kitchen seems abuzz with people washing up and getting new cakes out on the table as the first lot disappear!
You may have noticed the wonderful quilt hanging behind the table, click on the picture for a better look, unfortunately I have alot of reflection in the photo.




I really should have taken this picture before we started but.......we couldn't wait! It's so nicely presented, linen tablecloths, a posy of garden flowers, enough tea in the pot for 3 cups each! I had a lovely light sponge cake with mandarins and cream and my husband had scones and cream. Even the plates are all different and vintage, old fashioned stuff but like a breath of fresh air after some of the chain cafes that are around now.





This is the view as you leave the village hall, the river meanders between here and the white building opposite. (the Pub!)






Finally a walk back to the car, which we purposely parked away from the village hall so that we would walk it off!
Well it might not have been sunny but I think we had as good a time as you can, try it if you are in the area, you won't be sorry.







6 comments:

Eileen said...

How delightful...how English...it is what I envision a country walk, a country village, a country tea to be...thanks so much for sharing....one day I will experience it for myself. Sigh....oh how I wish we could grow wisteria here -it is sooooo beautiful.

happyone said...

What a lovely post!

I have a collection of mismatched china too that I've collected over the years. I think a table looks so pretty with all the different pieces.

Elizabethd said...

That was so lovely, and reminded me of many English occasions we have enjoyed when 'home'.
I think there was an article about the quilt in a magazine, ages ago. I would love to see it, being a quilter myself.
Glad you now have a follow button!

Cindy said...

Sounds like a lovely day and makes me wish I could just hop on over to England and partake...someday.

brightandnew said...

Such lovely pictures. We are hoping to get a weekend in Dorset in the summer - we are only a short way away in Hampshire yet have never visited before - I'm really looking forward to it.

oldcrow61 said...

What wonderful pictures. Those cakes look sooo good and the quilt is lovely.