Friday, 22 May 2009

Scaling the heights of the coast path!

Last evening my husband had a phone call from a friend who helps at the Swanage railway that several engines were 'in steam' as they were to be taken to Eastleigh in Hampshire for a Steam Gala this weekend. It amused me to see the men polishing the buffers with what looked like a brillo pad! I wonder if he helps with the washing up at home? Round the engine there were lots of other men cleaning and polishing it.
After all this excitement we drove of to Rempstone, the other side of Worth Matravers. Parked the car and walked off towards Chapmans Pool. Not many people about, just a couple of people floating above in a parachute and a couple who had taken a bottle of wine and were sitting on a stone bench waiting for the sunset....how civilised is that! We followed the coast path back eastwards towards St Aldhelms Head, then we reached this steep climb...believe me this picture does not do it credit! We lost count but we think it was between 175 and 200 steps up! Those little dots at the top are cows.

Halfway up and we stopped to look back at the way we had come (actually it was to breath and catch our breath really!) While we were walking we saw a Meadow Pipit and several Whinchats.


Finally we watched the sun setting as we walked back to the car. As a final icing on the cake a Barn Owl was flying around the field next to the car park.
Well I'm on night shift for two nights now so that will have to last me until Sunday!



5 comments:

Elizabethd said...

What fun the steam rally sounds, my husband would have loved it!

Goosey said...

I think my husband will be going as I am sleeping tomorrow, better than trying to be quiet at home!

Mary said...

Wow...wonderful post. That hill would be too daunting for me to tackle! I'm pooped just looking at it. Love the steam train and the polishers :-) Just like the "waxers and polishers" among the car crowd.

Teresa said...

OH my...I would need paramedics stationed at the top of the steps - that is if I made it. What beautiful pictures though, thanks for sharing.

happyone said...

Wow, that is some climb up the hill. I know that pictures never show how steep the hills really are and this even LOOKS very steep so I can imagine!! You certainly got some good exercise!!!