Monday, 20 July 2009

At last I've seen an Osprey in Dorset!

I have wanted to see an Osprey in Dorset for years (I did see a pair a few years ago in late summer on their way to Africa). Yesterday I saw one clearly and another kind birder let us look through his telescope for a better view. We waited an hour and half for it to move but it just sat in a dead tree, eventually hunger got the better of us ( but not the Osprey) and we went home, looked back at the tree as we walked back to the car....and it had gone!!!!!
Also saw a rural fox, it's very common to see them in town now but not in the country. Lots of deer, Redshank, Godwits, Canada Geese, Little Egrets, Shelduck, Oystercatchers, etc...

3 comments:

Elizabethd said...

We see them sometimes here in France, but havent seen one in UK for a long time.

Cindy said...

Osprey's are awesome! I saw my first one when I lived in Panama. One would roost on the top of a dead tree acrosss the street. At the time I didn't know what it was and it took me a month to find a book that identified it. Glad you got to see one.

Sue said...

We've never seen Ospreys either and visit many reserves around England. For two weeks every year we visit Arne in Dorset but each time we've just missed seeing an Osprey. We are going again on Saturday 5th Sept and - fingers crossed!
Sue