Wednesday, 29 July 2009

Family shame!

I have been doing a bit of genealogy lately and have traced my maternal grandmothers family back to 1640 so far. Alot of them were buried in Horsted Keynes Churchyard, seen above and the rest in St Denys Church at Rotherfield not far away. My Mother was born in the pretty Sussex village of Horsted Keynes on a farm. But now for the shame!!.....
This font is in Rotherfield Church and in the leaflet about the Church the following reads...
"The octagonal stone font is late Norman and was missing for a number of years until the Rector at the end of the 19th century found it lying in a field belonging to Horsegrove Farm being used as a cattle trough. Although slightly damaged, a small sum of money was exchanged and the font was returned to the Church.
How it came to be in the field is a mystery although it should be noted that Samuel Wickens was Churchwarden from 1814-1818 and he was the tenant of the farm in 1816!"
Samuel Wickens is my ancestor! It is a large font and would have taken several men to move it and get it onto a cart!
My family were farming in the same place for nearly 400 years (probably more) but I cannot get further back at the moment.

5 comments:

Tattyanne said...

Oooh scandal Goosey LOL. I dont know how you sleep at night! It was good to see you today, dont forget our date! Tatty x

happyone said...

That is really cool how you have traced your family back so far.
I guess all families have a "skeleton in the closet." :-)

Mary said...

That church is beautiful! I'm sorry, but I find it funny reading about your family "shame". Just think how "blessed" the cows were to have this sacred trough :-)

Cindy said...

When i first started doing my family genealogy a wise person said, "you can't judge your ancestors." My great grandfather stole money from the bank he worked in and ran off with another woman. The bank, one of the first in a MN town, had to close because of the loss. It was in papers country wide and this was 1881 or so. At the same time I think it is fascinating that we in present day can find out so much about our ancestors. At least the baptismal fount found its way back to where it belonged.

Von said...

Now there's a story!If only the font could speak!Was it the time of the Reformation?