Sunday, 5 July 2009

A remote holiday in the Outer Hebrides

If you are wondering where I have been over the past weeks, this is the answer...the Outer Hebrides...to those of you outside the UK they are a small chain of islands off the west coast of Scotland. We stayed on the Isle of Harris in this beautiful cottage in the first picture overlooking the loch. It was like stepping into another century, the people are charming and everyone waves as they pass you in their car or in their gardens and love to chat and pass the time of day with you. Sundays are still special and everyone goes to Church, there are no shops open, no Sunday papers (until Monday lunchtime!) no washing on lines and it is a real family day and a day of rest. It reminded me of when I was a child and I have decided I will keep to that in my own way now, I have slipped into the habit of popping to the shops anytime but it was so nice to have such a peaceful day.

This is an evening view over the loch from the cottage, we could see seals from here and plenty of birds too. We also saw dolphin.

One of the many lochs in North Harris, I think this was Loch Seaforth. As you can see we had amazing weather and sunsets that kept you outdoors every evening. Because the islands are so far north the sun does not set for long at this time of year and it never gets completely dark. In fact my husband found he could read a newspaper outdoors at 10 minutes past midnight, just about!This sunset was taken looking over the Sound of Taransay, which if you watched the BBC's Castaway a few years back is where the folk were 'castaway'. This was the first week of a wonderful holiday which I hope we will repeat one day.
I managed to get my bird count up to 97...so 3 more to go!

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Beautiful pictures. Looks like just the place for a peaceful vacation. Also reminds me of a setting for a mary Stewart novel.

Elizabethd said...

Lovely islands. I spent some holidays on Islay,on the West side, and the scenery is similar. The peace is amazing.
So glad you had an enjoyable time.

MrsL said...

OOhh, lovely! Feel qutie nostalgic - I spent some time on Benbecula many moons ago. Woudl go back at the drop of a hat, maybe I will, who knows? Thanks for sahring the pictures.

MrsL

xx

happyone said...

Welcome back. What a wonderful vacation - so nice and relaxing. It's like a part of the world that time forgot.

Teresa said...

Oh my gosh...looks to me like the Outer Hebrides is really the Inner Heavens. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures.

Mary said...

What a gorgeous place and I hope you show more photos! I like the idea of keeping Sunday as a day of rest, and wish that the world had not turned it into just another day.

Menopausal musing said...

What a beautiful, peaceful looking peace. I should imagine that that was just the sort of place you needed to relax. I love Scotland. Both my parents were Scots, so I have very happy memories of it. x

Andrew at Quicksilverbirds said...

Cathing up with some postings as I've been away so long - absolutely lovely to see the Outer Hebrides on a posting goosey. Hope all's well. Andrew