Thursday, 16 July 2009

Uncle Robert

My Great Uncle Robert died last night in his 95th year ( I thought he was 97 but stand corrected!) He had been on holiday with his son and daughter-in-law and had expressed a desire to go home early and on the way to see a cousin of his. This was done, he visited the cousin, was taken home sat down and died peacefully. What a great way to go, he said his goodbye's and went to be with the Lord he believed in and trusted from a young man.
I have such fond memories of him, a real countryman, he was a shepherd in his younger days and he would catch a lamb and give it to me to hold and cuddle when I was a child. I recall he took me to pick some bluebells and at other times Primroses on the farm and when I could pick as many as my child's arm could hold he would say "well that's not a very big bunch, you'd better go and get some more" I would stagger back with arm fulls of sweetly scented flowers and they would be plonked in huge jugs and we would take them home at the end of the day.
He was married but his wife had died many years ago leaving him and his son together until his son married and he had grandchildren. He had wonderfully bushy eyebrows and an interesting face, last year he had been to a garden party at Buckingham Palace. He would send me £5 every Christmas and birthday and a spidery-written letter that with his failing eyesight got more and more difficult to decipher but all the more precious because of the effort it had taken to write it.
I didn't see him much, the last time was at my parents Golden Wedding party which he made the long journey to come to with his family about 3 years ago. RIP Uncle Robert.

3 comments:

Elizabethd said...

How lovely to have such special memories of a very special man.

Tattyanne said...

What a lovely posting Goosey... I love reading your blog... I miss not seeing you.... Tatty x

happyone said...

Oh I am so sorry that your Uncle Robert died.
How nice to have such wonderful memories of him. He sounds very special!!