Monday, 23 November 2009

A finished quilt and an amazing co-incidence!

I sat indoors this morning while the rain pounded on the windows and sewed round the last bit of binding on this strippy quilt...feet up on the table with the quilt on my lap. When the rain stopped I ran out to the garden to take a picture while it was dry! I need a record of this one as I want to sell it to try and raise some funds to help my daughter pay for a trip she wants to go on next August to Calcutta to work with the street children there.

I think it would do for a child maybe, it's a bit on the bright side for some people maybe! It's virtually all done by hand, pieced and quilted by hand, just used the machine to join the blocks and sew the binding on.
After the rain had stopped I walked Wrecks the dog, down through the woods which were criss crossed with little channels made by the heavy rain that we have had over the past few days, the autumn storms are upon us. As I walked I could hear the sound of chain saw's where people were cutting up trees that had come down and making branches safe. Thankfully all we have suffered is a bit of fence damage, we have been lucky, in Cumbria they have had flood water in their homes.
This old grainy photo was taken in the early 70's of a house I lived in with my parents in a village about 70 miles away from where I now live and my parents have long since moved on. The amazing thing is that my son and his girlfriend were invited to dinner with one of her colleagues last week and yes...it was this house! How amazing is that! It was wonderful to hear how it looks now, we moved in when I was 12 when the house was brand new in 1969....I can hear all your brain cells working now to work my age out!
This is our towns poor effort of a Christmas tree this year, it's really a bit dull I think. I think they should plant a real tree in the middle of the square and let it grow and decorate it every year, I'm sure it would be cheaper in the long run and certainly would be more attractive to look at. Sorry...bit of a moan there!

11 comments:

ROZ said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love the strip quilt. Very bright and cozy.

Louise said...

Your quilt is absolutely fabulous and I LOVE the colours. I hope it does well raising funds for your daughters trip to Calcutta.

Karen :-) said...

Your quilt is beautiful and I love the bright colors.
Small world!
You're younger than I am - I graduated high school in 1969! :-)

bellaboo said...

That is a beautiful quilt!I'm sure it will sell very quickly,and I hope it makes ooodles of money to fund your daughter's trip.

Bellaboo

bellaboo said...

Thanks for dropping by.You are now on my 'followers' list too!
We love Dorset,and have stayed in Piddlehinton and Sydling St Nicholas.

Bellaboo

Elizabethd said...

What a gorgeous quilt, you must have worked so hard at it.

Bovey Belle said...

Well done with the quilt - it's so bright and cheerful. I hope it raises a goodly amount for your daughter's trip.

I agree with you about the town Christmas tree - yawn! Nowt of their pension funds went on that one by the look of things!

Goosey said...

Thank you for the comments, the quilt is a bit bright for alot of peoples taste but hopefully someone will like it!
I have since found out that the reason we have such a naff tree is so that Health and Safety is ok! The old one had guy ropes which although enclosed by a fence were a danger!!! A real tree all year round would apparently not be acceptable to the big stores as it would obscure their logos!Has the world gone mad?

jenny2write said...

What a beautiful quilt. I'd love something like that and it's a long time since I was a child! I agree about the Christmas tree. I guess someone on the council thought it was artistic. I don't think "artistic" and "Christmas" really mix....

Dartford Warbler said...

That is a beautiful quilt!

My OH was telling me about the "Christmas Tree" in Poole. Apparently the Sun newspaper wrote an article about it, entitled "Elf and Safe Tree"! The council think this one will be safer than a real tree. Sigh....

Mary said...

I think it is gorgeous and I'm sure you won't have trouble selling it! Hope she gets her trip.