Sunday, 27 December 2009

112 different birds seen in 2009!

I decided to record the birds I have seen in 2009. My aim was to see 100 different birds but I managed to see 112, probably helped by a holiday in the Outer Hebrides where I saw loads! I will delete the bird list on the side bar on 1st January so that I can start a new list for 2010.

Arctic Skua (Outer Hebrides)
Arctic Tern (Outer Hebrides)
Avocet (Middlebere)
Barn Owl (Hammoon)
Bewick Swan (Slimbridge)
Black Guillimot
Black Headed Gull
Black Throated Diver
Blackbird (Garden)
Blackcap (Garden )
Blue Tit (Garden )
Brent Goose
Buzzard (Near Upton)
Canada Goose (Poole Park)
Chaffinch
Chiff Chaff
Coal Tit (Garden)
Collared Dove
Common Gull
Common Sandpiper
Common Tern
Coot
Cormorant
Crow
Cuckoo (Morden)
Curlew
Dunnock (Garden )
Eider
Feral Pigeon
Fieldfare (Shropshire)
Fulmar
Gadwall
Gannet (Isle of Harris)
Goldcrest -Garden
Goldeneye
Goldfinch (Hartland Moor)
Great black Backed Gull
Great Crested Grebe
Great Northern Diver
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit (Garden)
Green Woodpecker (Horsted Keynes Churchyard)
Greenfinch
Greenshank
Grey Heron
Grey Wagtail
Greylag Goose
Guillimot
Herring Gull
Hooded Crow (Scotland)
House Sparrow (Garden)
Jackdaw
Jay
Kestrel
Kingfisher (River Stour, Eyebridge)
Kittiwake
Lapwing (Middlebere)
Linnet
Little Egret (Middlebere)
Little Stint
Long tailed Tit (Garden)
Magpie (Garden)
Mallard
Marsh Tit (Bulbarrow)
Meadow Pipit
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Nuthatch
Osprey (Middlebere)
Oystercatcher (Poole harbour)
Peregrine
Pheasant
pied Wagtail
Pintail
Pochard
Puffin ( Outer Hebrides)
Raven
Red Breasted Merganser
Red Kite (Wales)
Redshank
Redstart
Red throated Diver
Redwing (Seaview point, Poole)
Ring Necked Parakeet (near London from a coach window!)
Ring Plover (Ullapool)
Robin (Garden)
Rock Dove
Rock Pipit
Rook
Shag
Shelduck (Middlebere)
Siskin
Skylark
Snipe
Song Thrush
Sparrowhawk
Spoonbill (Middlebere)
Spotted Flycatcher (Ringstead)
Starlings (Garden)
Stock Dove
Stonechat
Swallow
Swift
Teal
Tufted Duck
Turnstone (Baiter)
Wheatear
Wigeon
Winchat
Wood Pigeon (Garden)
Wren (Garden)
Yellowhammer

We walked down to a hide today at Middlebere, didn't have too long to spend there but we saw Lapwings, Egret, a lone Avocet, Shelduck and a huge flock of Geese.
I have seen only 14 different birds in the garden, this is disappointing as the numbers get less every year despite me feeding them and having a 'bird friendly garden'. On looking back through my old bird lists I can see that in the 1980's we had 23 different types in the garden, we have lost Goldfinches, Chaffinches, Woodpeckers, Ring collared doves, Warblers, Thrush and Greenfinches. Such a shame. I think alot of it is caused by people who move in to the road and immediately cut down trees, lay concrete and cover their gardens in decking....probably as a result of the quick fix gardening programmes that were so popular a few years back! One family moved in a few years ago and the very first day had two mature trees felled!
I think the answer will be to move out of this area, hopefully to somewhere with good habitat. That's my grump over for today!

2 comments:

Joe said...

Hi Goosey,

Great list, you easily beat your target, well done. I wonder if you can go even higher in 2010? :)

Goosey said...

I'm not sure I can beat that Joe, I did see a huge amount of stuff whilst up in the Islands.....maybe I'll have to back there!
Your garden list is very impressive, you saw more in one day than I saw in a whole year in mine!