Friday, 15 January 2010

Walking in the snow at Arne

Last Sunday, I woke at lunchtime.....no I'm not lazy, just been on the night shift at work! We went out late afternoon and parked at Arne but rather than take the usual path we went off over Coombe Heath. These Sika Deer were in the field that we crossed and barely moved to get out of the way. I have to confess that I am a bit of a nervous walker in the snow so it did become a bit of a slow and deliberate walk.
However when we got to the top of the hill this was the view over Purbeck, looking across to Middlebere. The channel here is part of Poole Harbour but was iced over in places and the poor old birds were having to skate over it.
This Fieldfare was one of about six that have been in my garden this week along with a few Redwings. I have also had a female Blackcap, Long Tailed Tits, Coal Tits, Greenfinch and Song Thrush as well as the usual visitors to the feeders. I put some apple out for the Thrush, Fieldfares and Redwings which they devoured very quickly. Now the snow has gone so have the visiting birds, shame but it was nice to see them.
I have seen more different varieties of birds in the garden by the 14th January than I did in the whole of last year!



3 comments:

Happyone :-) said...

I don't mind walking in the snow. It's the ice that I don't like!
Your pictures from you walk are all lovely. Beautiful scenery.
Have a great weekend.

Von said...

Lovely one! Hope it's changed to slush for you now.Greetings from Oz,I'd send sunshine if I could!

Goosey said...

Happyone; You are braver than I am! Yes it's the ice that is so scarey!
Von; Well a bit of warmer weather would be good!