Saturday, 13 February 2010

Fritham and Eyeworth Pond

D and I had to go to fetch something from the New Forest today so decided to make an occasion of it and enjoy a cold January day out in the forest.
We went to Fritham and on to Eyeworth pond where we met this very friendly little fellow. It was bitingly cold but occasional bursts of sunshine made it all more bearable! We sat here and D listened to the football match on the radio between Southampton and Pompey (that had a gloomy outcome as his team didn't win!) so to cheer him up we went to have a bowl of soup at a nice little tearoom nearby.
I'm sure there is a caption somewhere for this picture! In the forest there are alot of animals wandering around in the roads, pigs, donkeys, cows, sheep, deer and of course the New Forest ponies.
This Mandarin was so beautifully marked, I know they originate from Asia but this one and his lady seemed perfectly at home on the pond. Click on the picture to see a better view.
Again if you click on the picture you will see a donkey and a few pigs on or by the lane.
The bird in the middle at the rear of the ducks is a Goosander, this is a first for me, I don't think I have ever seen one before. There were several pairs at the pond and I suspect they will disappear in the spring away to their breeding grounds.
Also saw a Nuthatch, Willow or Marsh Tit, Blue Tit, Robins, Chaffinches, Goldfinches, Greylag Geese, Wagtails, Hedge Sparrows, House Sparrows, Blackbirds, Song Thrush, Redwings, and Fieldfares.
I'd like to go back to the pond in the spring, and take a picnic....and watch some more......


7 comments:

Von said...

Lovely to see the New Forest again and to know it will never change.My daughter has fond memories of being bitten by a pony a small girl!How different her life is now!

bellaboo said...

Do you know The Royal Oak at Fritham I wonder?...a lovely little thatched pub.Have fond memories of the New Forest,it was the first time my hubbie and I stayed in a B and B,The Old Vicarage at Burley.
Lovely donkey pics!

Bellaboo :)

Teresa said...

I am always amazed at the beauty of nature you present on your blog. Thanks for sharing these pictures and the one of the sunset is amazing.

Happyone :-) said...

You took some really fantastic pictures of all the animals! I enjoyed all of them.

Goosey said...

Hello Von, I don't often go the New Forest way as we usually go in the Dorset direction from home but it was well worth it...and no biting ponies thankfully!
Hi Bellaboo, We passed The Royal Oak but didn't go in it, but judging about the number of cars parked along the lane it must be good!
Hello Teresa, Thanks for your kind comments, that sunset was good wasn't it, these cold days can produce some amazing cloud formations.
Hi Happyone, That donkey was so sweet and friendly, I had heard the pigs can be a bit grumpy so I didn't go too close to them!

Helen said...

I love the New Forest in all seasons and all weather. Can't wait to get back there in the spring...hope that lovely donkey will still be there.

notesfromthefrugaltrenches said...

oh it has been too long since I've been to the New Forrest! I so love donkeys :)