Wednesday, 17 February 2010

Walk around the old town and giraffe feeders!

Recently I have started as a volunteer at my local museum helping to index the old newspapers from the 1870's onwards. It's fascinating work and I'm really enjoying it, in fact it's hard not to just sit and read it all!
One article I read today was about a man who stole 3 fowl and was arrested by a policeman the following day and was found to have feathers about his person resembling those of the missing fowl!
The picture above is where I do this volunteering, a lovely and ancient old building on the quay in the town. It's called the Town Cellars and was built during the first half of the 15th century, wonderful to do the indexing in a building which has nearly 600 years of history already.
It takes me about 45 minutes to walk there and I noticed these little fellows on the way through as I went through the park...all facing the same way!Another side of the town is the luxury boats that are made here, you can see by the size of the cars parked next to them how big they are. The super rich come to buy them, I believe Roman Abramowicz has a bigger boat than these but it comes from the same boatyard.
Last Sunday D and I walked from Okeford Fitzpayne, up over the ridgeway to near Shillingstone, it was cold but the views up there were glorious. We saw a flock of about eight yellowhammers, bright yellow in the afternoon sunshine. I notice this week that the birds are singing properly now, spring is just around the corner when that happens.
What's this? Not as I thought, a giraffe feeder...not a lot of giraffe in Dorset, but a beacon that is lit on special occasions right up high.


10 comments:

bellaboo said...

You do live in a beautiful area.That looked like a lovely walk.I love the story of the 3 fowl!
Think I'm right in saying that all the beacons across the country were lit when Prince Charles married Lady Di,and then again for the millenium.

Bellaboo :0)

Von said...

Gosh!What fun!!!! Shame about the giraffe feeder though!
I'm still wondering how someone has feathers "about their person"?

Bovey Belle said...

Ah, I remember your town so well, and that Museum, when we lived in Lytchett . . . Lovely walk from Okeford Fitzpaine too - I "remembers" the Dorset upland "breezes" very well . . .

Goosey said...

Yes, B Boo I think you are right about the beacons although I have never seen one lit.
Hello Von, I agree about the feathers...but how did he know it was those chickens feathers!

Kath said...

Sounds like a lovely voluntary job. Like you, I would get very immersed in the old news stories!

Helen said...

Did the paper say what the fowl thief's sentence was? Like you I would find it very hard not to spend the whole time reading the papers...sounds an interesting job.

Happyone :-) said...

Your volunteer work sounds very interesting. And what a nice thing for you to do!!
I like all the birds lined up. :-)
Your walk sounds sooo nice!

Robyn said...

Hi Goosey,
Thankyou so much for popping by and leaving comments on my strings quilt. I have enjoy the colours and the freedom of this quilt very much!

Your country side is indeed beautiful and the buildings are so old and wonderful.
Your header is beautiful too.

hugs
Robyn xx

notesfromthefrugaltrenches said...

Oh it looks absolutely delightful! What interesting volunteer work!

pk @ Room Remix said...

What a lovely area to live and work in. Thank you for sharing the images with us. I love that image of the building where you're working.