Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Turners Puddle and Hambledon Hill.

At last, I have finished the picture I was making of our holiday last year on the Isle of Harris in the Outer Hebrides. I took some fabric with me and tacked it together while I was there then did it properly when I got home. This was the view out of the cottage window over the sea and the hills. If you click on the picture you can see that there is some Harris tweed on the hills and some real sheeps wool that I picked up there. It was fun to do and it has now gone off to be framed. I wasn't going to frame it but just hang it as it is but my husband thought we should preserve it better from the ravages of time.


Sunday saw us walking about 4 miles near Turners Puddle and past the little church with it's snowdrops in the graveyard, this is the same churchyard that was covered in celandine and later cow parsley last year too. I took some pictures last April too and again in summer!
Saturday we climbed up the old iron age hillfort of Hambledon Hill. We parked in Irwene Courtney and started the long pull up the hill. It was a bit slippy as we have had so much rain lately but we got there. You can clearly see the ramparts in this picture.
From up on the ramparts the view was amazing, looking over all the villages of Irwene Courtney(Shroton), Irwene Minster, Childe Okeford, Shillingstone (aren't they lovely names).

This last picture is looking over Childe Okeford, just look at the lovely house and grounds in the bottom left of the picture...very nice!
Off to put my feet up till next weekend!

5 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

What a beautiful picture and what happy memories it must evoke.

Ah, dear old Hambledon Hill. The views are stupendous. In the Iron Age, it was apparently where bodies were taken for excarnation (being left out in the elements to, ahem, rot). I have been idly house-hunting around the Childe Okeford and Iwerne Courtney way recently (or rather, I put Stur. Newton in the search engine, and it does properties within whatever radius you specify . . .)

bellaboo said...

That fabric picture is amazing and a lovely keepsake of your holiday.Framing it is a good way to protect it for the future.It's worth the climb up if you're rewarded with those wonderful views isn't it?

Bellaboo :o)

Kath said...

Lovely photos! We have a Hambledon near us in Bucks. It's several years since I have been down your way. I love the fabric picture!

Happyone :-) said...

The fabric picture that you made is lovely and certainly deserves a frame. Great Job!!

The scenery is beautiful! What a wonderful place for walking!!

Cindy said...

Beautiful fabric picture. Glad you are preserving it.