Tuesday, 8 June 2010

This is a VERY scary hedge!

This first picture is not at all scary, it's a view of Dorset from Okeford Hill where we walked in the very hot heat on Sunday afternoon. The wild flowers are so pretty at this time of year and the lanes peaceful and full of butterfly's.
Whenever I think of moving out of Dorset I only need to walk up here to change my mind again.Right, here's the scary bit! We saw alot of bits of hedge festooned in cobwebs like this, there would be a few yards of clear hedge then lots of patches like this.I am not a spider lover so made a mental note not to live in this village! Does anyone know anything about it and why there is so much in one spot? Some bits were bigger and more densely covered.


This little insect obligingly sat next to me allowing me to play with the macro! I don't know what it is, I must look him up.
Just to add, my son has started writing a blog about his trips around Britian on his new touring bike, so far he has been to Devon and Somerset, have a peep on the side bar (Cycling expeditions)

8 comments:

bellaboo said...

I noticed the same thing on top of a hedge while I was driving the other morning and wondered what they were....yes...very scary indeed..as I'm terrified of spiders!!

Bellaboo :0)

Happyone :-) said...

The first picture is beautiful! I can see why you wouldn't want to move away from that.
Can't help you all the spider webs. It does look a bit spooky.
I'm going to go check out your sons blog.

Happyone :-) said...

Me again. Clicked on the link to your sons blog - didn't work.

Goosey said...

Thanks Karen, I did try to link it again but it won't play the game! He's one of the blogs on the sidebar called Cycling expeditions.

Quicksilvercountry said...

Hi Snowgoosey, these are the webs of the Ermin moth caterpillar (or look like it). Very common in the south west, and should be looked after. Lovely posting as always. Andrew

Goosey said...

Thank you Quicksilver...How pleased am I that they are not giant spiders!

myfrenchkitchen said...

Lovely images! And yes, truly a scary hedge...we have similar spiderwebs here in France...very "messy ones" and it actually looks fantastic in early morning when the fields are wet! But yours could also be the Ermine moth...
Ronelle

Anonymous said...

Hi

Just happened onto your blog, very enjoyable read and lovely photos.
The scary webs are on spindle bushes and it's the spindle ermine moth's caterpillar that spins them.
They are/were all over the hedges around this area, Hampshire.

Cheers

Maurice