Monday, 14 February 2011

Buzzards in town

No pictures this time, but just a short blog about my dog walk today.
I walked down through the woods to a field in the town which is used for football and dog walkers, children playing in summer, scout and cub groups playing games. It was wet and soggy underfoot but over the other side I could see a group of Magpies mobbing something, we wandered over there slowly and I saw very close up a Buzzard, as I edged even nearer I realised there was a pair of Buzzards. They flew from tree to tree to escape the attentions of the smaller birds which by now had been joined by a very noisy Jay. I watched them for about 10 minutes and as I walked away I could hear the familiar Buzzard calls.
I know Buzzards are fairly common now but this was right in the town, not on the edge of the town at all.
Lots of singing birds around too, Coal Tits,Robins, Blackbirds, Great Tits and Blue Tits.

2 comments:

Happyone :-) said...

I see a lot of buzzards around here too. They look so graceful flying up so high.
A chic a dee is a cute little bird.
Here's a link with a picture of one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-capped_Chickadee

Kath said...

How exciting. I know we have them here in SOmerset, but so far I have not seen them, I think they're further in land.
We get a lot of gulls here which reminds us the sea is just 14 miles away :-D