Friday, 18 February 2011

A tree Puzzle

I have a bit of a tree puzzle, I think I should learn my tree identifications this year! When I walk with Wrecks I sometimes cut through this graveyard where there are 16 Monkey Puzzle Trees growing in a semi-circle. I notice that the trunks have perfectly symetrical circles round them where I presume branches have been at one time and have fallen off so now they are only at the top of the tree. However I have never seen a branch underneath a Monkey Puzzle tree, so what happens.....or are the council just good at taking them off? I must admit I don't like M P trees and I thought they had no value to British wildlife but I have since watched thousands of Starlings roost in them after doing their murmurations over the graveyard! Also it seems the wood pigeons like them too.
The second thing I want to know is what type of tree is this tall leafless tree in the background? There were 3 of them but one has just been felled. Anyone good on tree ID ?



6 comments:

bellaboo said...

There was a MP tree in a neighbours garden and when I was a child I remember being fascinated by it.That tall tree...I think it might be a poplar? :0)

Kath said...

Another vote for poplar.
Murmuration? more like a "screech" of starlings if my speckly visitors are anything to go by LOL

The Wessex Reiver said...

Hi Goosey, I'm certain this is a Lombardy poplar, (Populus nigra). The most common cultivar planted is the form 'Italica.' They grow quickly so are often grown as windbreaks. However they are short lived, and sadly of little benefit to UK wildlife. I like them though for their columnar shape in winter

Happyone :-) said...

I don't know much about trees, but you've captured some interesting ones there.

Goosey said...

Thank you all, I'm sure you are all right and I will now bw learning my tree ID this year! I have even bought a book now!It might be easier than bird spotting, at least they stand still!

Dartford Warbler said...

Yet another vote for the Lombardy Poplar! Our neighbours have a stand of poplars in their field. In the summer I love to their leaves soughing in the wind.