Sunday, 17 April 2011

Heavy Horses....not Obese horses!!!!

A lovely afternoon spent watching heavy horses working and being shown at the Harbridge Farm Heavy Horse Event which is near Ringwood, Hants. I love these horses, I am not especially bothered by other sorts of horses but these big guys I love! As a child myself and two of my cousins would ride a big horse like this around the fields.....all three of us on his back at once. His name was Clover and he had been on the farm working since my Mother was a child too.
These four were the cheeky boys of the day and just looked like they would like to cause a bit of mayhem although they were well behaved.
I took so many pictures it was hard to choose my favourites.
This one jingled as he passed and looked marvellous.
A really good afternoons entertainment and although there were alot of machines about like ploughs, harrows, rollers, etc...there was no engine noise. We had the first picnic of the year, home-made bread rolls and freshly boiled ham, tomatoes and apples for pudding.....it feels like summer.
This blacksmith was kept busy shoeing the horses, they have such big feet!

We laughed when a friend of my daughter didn't know what a heavy horse was....Amy told her it was an obese horse....and she believed her!!!!

Lastly a video of them...and no I didn't get squashed at the end!


video

4 comments:

Elizabethd said...

They are such lovely animals, big but gentle. I always enjoy seeing them when we go to a fete or farm day.

Von said...

Magnificent!!I adore the heavies.They always remind me of a dear friend who had a small team, he had been a Barnados boy and it was part of his survival story.RIP Bill.
Marvellous photos, I love the white one, never seen one like that before.

Happyone : ) said...

These are my all time favorite horses. I love them. Thanks so much for posting the pictures. I know these magnificent animals as Clydesdale Horses.

Kath said...

OK I confess, I have always had a "thing" for farriers :-)