Friday, 6 April 2012

Does anyone know what this about.....Hundreds of snails were in this crack in a tree in the woods at Dewlish in Dorset?
We thought maybe it was an "Eat All You Can" restaurant for Thrushes !
There was a small pile of empty shells at the base of the tree but this lot looked very cosy and I just wondered if anyone knows about this.

It doesn't look especialy blue in this picture and unfortunately I had to take this from the car, but believe me it was very blue, and very early in the season for the Bluebells to be so fully out.
We went up to Bulbarrow hill (off the grockle-beaten track ) That's 'tourists' if you are outside Dorset and then down to Ansty and Dewlish, where my Father-in-Law grew up.

5 comments:

bellaboo said...

How strange that all those snails were in that tree.I came across loads on a tree stump once...on a coast path of all places!
I'm looking forward to our bluebell walks..they're just starting to appear here. :0)

Joe said...

How perculiar! Can honestly say I've never seen anything like that, very odd. Great find :)

Kath said...

how odd. We recently came across a large number of ladybirds on the beach, where the tide had gone out.

Happyone said...

I've never seen or heard of that before. Very odd.

Roy Norris said...

The snails are still hibernating. I would expect that if you had checked at the time Goose they were settled on the South side of the tree away from the colder northerly winds of the winter.