Friday, 1 February 2013

My patch!

I have been reading a book by Dominic Couzens called " A Patch made in Heaven". It's a diary really of his year watching a patch of land and the birds and wildlife that visit it. I know the patch he writes about as it is not far from where I live and I have walked around it several times. I thought that I should like a patch to watch too but more local to me and I don't want to copy his either. I thought maybe the park which is large and nearly joins the sea but as I walked down there to check it out I passed a bit of land that has been closed off for years.

There is a notice on the fence surrounding it to say that the council intend to make a path round it, create a pond and manage it for wildlife. BINGO!
Over the far side there are some boggy plants so that will entice some different species hopefully. At the moment there is a bit of clearing up to do with rubbish that has been chucked in there. It is surrounded by trees and scrub and just above the field is some woods where Wrecks and I walk so I shall probably include some of that in my patch too. In the past I have seen foxes in there as I walked past and I think I may have found " my Patch" . It will be nice to be there from the start when it is opened and hopefully I will see lots of stuff.
Watch this space, as soon as I can go in there, I will. Until then I will look over the fence!

5 comments:

Kath said...

what a refreshing change, I thought you were going to say 350 houses were due to be built!
I wonder if local authorities are realising that with all the flooding we've had, these areas are valuable for the run-off.

Goosey said...

Yes, I am really pleased, as you say they cram houses in everywhere now.

Happyone said...

Oh what a nice idea. I look forward to watching the progress. : )

Dartford Warbler said...

I thought the same as Kath! What a relief to know that this green space is going to be saved for nature ( and for people).

A blog journal of a year on your patch would be really interesting.

Joe said...

It's so nice to hear about stuff like this. Hope it turns out to be a really good wildlife patch in the future :)